Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Selecting a Computer etc.

Hey guys, have any of you ever owned a Hewlett Packard, or a Dell, Gateway, and even a Compaq.

Are any these computers worth buying? Are they good companies? I'm not looking for custom either, I just want to know if anyone has ever reviewed, or owned, or read about these companies computers.

Also Video cards, With one of the companies they offer

256MB nVidia Geforce 7300LE TurboCache [Included in Price]

256MB ATI Radeon X1300 Pro [add $50 or $2/month1]

256MB nVidia GeForce 7900 GS [add $200 or $6/month1]

1GB NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2 Dual-GPU Graphics Card [add $650 or $20/month1]

512MB nVidia GeForce 7900 GTX [add $470 or $15/month1]

Any suggestions? Comments? Help?

Thanks.
    The 7900 GS is by far the best for the price. If you are going with a pre-built computer, Dell would probably be who I would go with. My current Dell has lasted over 7 years.
    NWPNWPNWPNWPNWPNWPNWP
    the greatest Fellows

I have a HP right now.

ABS pc tbh
    If you are not gonna build it yourself I recommend
    www.cyberpowerpc.com

I know Rev got his PC from them

I'm willing to pay back up to 150% your investment, so if you invest 100 dollars, you will get back up to 150 dollars.
    Joel Huenink

NWP is a gaming clan site - if you're easily offended, this is not the clan for you and don't visit this website etc

Lead Said
    Dunno I made it with some 18yr old high school dropout the other night. I bought her some french fries from Jack in the Box and one thing led to another.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bukowski
    If you are not gonna build it yourself I recommend
    www.cyberpowerpc.com

I know Rev got his PC from them
    I got one from there. Two days later Limp came over and we fried the fuck out of it and sent it back for a full refund, so I know the return policy is top notch!
    NWPNWPNWPNWPNWPNWPNWP
    the greatest Fellows

Operating System: Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005 (Update Rollup 2)
    Operating System Backup Media: Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center Backup Media
    Application Software: Microsoft® Works 8.5 (1535429)
    Security Software: No McAfee® Security Subscription Selected
    Color: FX Logo Accent - Redline
    Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6400 (2.13GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 2MB cache, non-HT) $50.00
    Memory: 1024MB 667MHz PC5300 Dual-Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2-512MB modules)
    Motherboard: Intel® 975X Chipset with DDR2 and Intel® Core™ Duo support
    Hard Drive: 250GB 7200rpm Serial ATA II/300 hard drive w/ 8MB cache $29.00
    Media Card Reader: 9-in-1 Memory Card Reader
    Optical Drive: 16x Double-Layer Multi-Format DVD Writer DVD±/R±RW/CD-R/RW
    Backup Media: Cyberlink CDRW and PowerDVD Solution (6-Channel)
    Warranty: Desktop Value Service Plan -- 1 year parts/labor/no on-site/1 year technical support
    Software Application Support: Answers By Gateway Per Incident Card (8511780)
    Chassis: 7-bay BTX tower case
    Power Supply: 700-Watt Power Supply
    Monitor: Gateway® 19" Widescreen High Definition LCD Display (7010676R)
    Video: NVIDIA® GeForce® 7900GT 256MB GDDR3 Dual DVI - Dual Link w/ HDCP & TV-Out $281.00
    Keyboard: Gateway® Elite Multimedia Keyboard
    Mouse: Soft-touch USB Optical Wheel Mouse
    Sound: Sound Blaster® X-FI PCI Card $79.00
    Speakers: Logitech® X-530 5.1 70 Watt Surround Speakers with Subwoofer (7005546R) $89.99
    Modem: 56K PCI data/fax modem
    Additional Software: Intel® Viiv® Technology
    Additional Software: Napster Trial Subscription
    Additional Software: RTY TFT Display EZ Tune Install CD
    Software Documentation: End User License Agreement for Non-Microsoft Software
    Software Review: Out Of Box Experience Review
    Call to Purchase: Call 800-846-2080 to Purchase Your Extended PC Service Plan (152451
    Warranty Document: Consumer Warranty Documentation
    System Type: Desktop
    Channel: Direct
    Monitor Cable: Belkin-DVI Flat Panel Cable with a right angle connector (6624673) $36.99
    Chipset: Intel® 975X Chipset with DDR2 Support and Intel® Core? Duo support
    Expansion Slots: (3) PCI Expansion Slots, (1) PCI-E x4 Expansion Slot, (1) PCI-E x16 Expansion Slot
    External Ports: (6) USB 2.0 (2 in front and 4 in back), (3) IEEE 1394 Firewire (2 in front and 1 in back), (2) PS/2, (1) Microphone, front audio ports
    Certification: Energy Star Compliant
    Sound System: Integrated Intel® High Definition Audio
    Network: Integrated Intel® 10/100/1000 (Gigabit) Ethernet
    Internet Service Provider: Six months America Online® Internet access

Bought today by my father (1,705 dollars) i don't care about the price (he bought it!)
    So you went with Gateway I reckon?
    NWPNWPNWPNWPNWPNWPNWP
    the greatest Fellows

Sounds leet, buy it and ill give u my machine.

LOOOL way to get raped, friend.

I will have to post the final results and pictures of my new computer...but ffs I spent about the same amount of money and got SO much more, tbh. A lot of the stuff in mine is better than what is in yours and I probably got them cheaper seperately than you did on each of yours. Well, I HAD to have...because looking at even the graphic card you have, you got raped. I got the 7900GT series as well...except I got TWO of them (XFX). $281? FFS...and it doesn't even say what brand it is. Everything else was pretty much upgraded...such as getting the E6600 Duo, the SoundBlaster X-Fi Platinum, a Viewsonic 19" LCD 2ms refresh (yours is probably a generic monitor that is not designed for gaming), 2 gigs of 800MHz OCZ Titanium Memory, TWO DVD burners, the new EVGA nForce 680i MOBO that is SLI enabled (yours doesnt mention anything about the MOBO being compatable with SLI which IMO is a big mistake because games are going to start raping shit up with the new dual card technologies). I know you don't want to build it...but ffs it's not THAT hard. It's not your money...but IMO it's a dumb concept to throw away ANYONES money...especially when the gift is going to YOU! It's like "do I want a mediocre system that will last maybe 2 years for gaming or one that screams with significant upgrades for the SAME PRICE" ... duno, seems like a no-brainer to me.

My mom bought a Gateway when I was like 13 or so...that was the first family computer that had internet and all of that (the older ones were the green screen foolery! jahlo). She got RAPED on it, tbh. Built computers are cheaper these days, but she still could have gotten it a lot cheaper. Plus Gateway is friggin GAY friend. Their customer support is pretty much nothing. You don't want to build a computer, but you better figure out how to on your own because Gateway isn't going to help. Plus their return policy is shady at best. My mom bought a HP scanner with that package and when it went out she called them up and they said "that is HP's problem" and when we called HP they went "wtf the CONTRACT says that Gateway is supposed to take it back". They never took it.

Gateway has always sucked ass and everyone I know hates them. You could have AT LEAST gotten a Dell, which like Deadly said are reasonable and they last a long time. Their customer service is pretty good (even though you're still calling 1-800-INDIA and you sometimes get people who have thick accents).

Goddamn friend, complete failure for someone who is supposed to be a gamer. If you didn't know how to build one or didn't know what to get, you should have just asked. Buk has built a few computers and helped me with my stuff...and I just built mine. I would have given you all the specs, where I bought them, how much, etc...and would have helped you set it up as I did. You mostly shot yourself in the foot IMO. That's like picking out a 20 gig iPod instead of a 40 gig iPod for teh same price.

My mom is having me build her a new computer...and that's not MY money...and it won't even be MY computer...but I'm making sure every dollar is well-spent and is spent most effectively.

(I'm taking ur 1337 card friend) lol

"ill give ur mom the short end of the stick " - Destruction