Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barack Obama announces presidential candidacy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6349081.stm

He began his official campaign with a call for the Iraq war to end, saying US troops must withdraw by March 2008.

Mr Obama, 45, is considered by many to be the first African-American candidate with a realistic chance of winning.

He, along with Senator Hillary Clinton, is leading the race for the Democratic Party's nomination for the 2008 vote.

A large crowd of supporters braved the sub-zero temperatures in Springfield, Illinois to watch Mr Obama make his announcement.

In the shadow of the Old State Capitol, where Lincoln once called on a divided house to stand together, where common hopes and common dreams still live, I stand before you today to announce my candidacy for president of the United States

He spoke to the crowd of his working life in the state over the last 20 years, first as a community worker, then as a civil rights lawyer and finally as a US senator.

He said it was the lessons learnt watching the daily struggles many faced that had ignited in him a desire for change.

"That is why, in the shadow of the Old State Capitol, where Lincoln once called on a divided house to stand together, where common hopes and common dreams still live, I stand before you today to announce my candidacy for president of the United States," Mr Obama said.

Changing politics

As he made the announcement the crowd cheered and chanted his name.

But having served just one term as a senator and with no experience of executive office, many have questioned whether Mr Obama's skills match his ambition.

As he declared his candidacy Mr Obama acknowledged that fact saying:

2008 main contenders
    "I recognise that there is a certain presumptuousness in this, a certain audacity to this announcement. I know that I have not spent a long time learning the ways of Washington, but I have been there long enough to know that the ways of Washington have to change."

Mr Obama said the first priority was ending the conflict in Iraq.

"America, it's time to start bringing our troops home," he said. "It's time to admit that no amount of American lives can resolve the political disagreement that lies at the heart of someone else's civil war."

Mr Obama was elected to the US Senate after Congress voted to support President George W Bush in his decision to go to war in Iraq, but in 2002 made a speech opposing the conflict.

He went on to criticise the current administration for what he called a failure of leadership to address issues like America's dependence on oil and a failing educational system.

Race issue

Mr Obama burst on to the national scene in July 2004 when he delivered a stirring keynote speech at the Democratic party convention.

His declaration that there was no white or black America, but a United States of America helped him win a seat in the Senate that year and subsequently set him on a fast track to vie for the White House.

Time magazine has dubbed Mr Obama "America's hottest political phenomenon" and US chat show host Oprah Winfrey urged him to announce his candidacy on her programme.

But instead he chose to launch his presidential campaign on the very spot where Abraham Lincoln once denounced the divisions caused by slavery.

However, unlike previous black presidential candidates, Mr Obama was not part of the civil rights movement, which correspondents say makes some African-Americans wary of him.

His mixed race heritage - with a white mother from Kansas, and a black father from Kenya - has led some observers to suggest that he is an African and an American, but not an African-American.

Though undoubtedly ambitious and charismatic, with relatively little national experience and formidable opponents, including Mrs Clinton, many question whether he can really secure the Democratic nomination, and whether he has the depth of policy to match.

Mr Obama has tried to answer critics in recent weeks, introducing a bill that calls for the phased redeployment of US troops from Iraq.
    Quote Originally Posted by DESTRUCTION View Post
    im just trying to keep u on ur toes Fellow

Barack Obombma

Greyson -- says:
    play gore se
    Saman h says:
    i dont have gore se
    Greyson -- says:
    why not
    Saman h says:
    becuase i am gay
    Doesn't even look black, moreso brown.

Barack Osama tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by chaos [gv
    this wasnt even a war this was a disgrace,we outnumbered them and still lost.
    His middle name is Hussein.

But if people were getting elected based on their name or their looks, Bush would not have got into office twice (still searching for WHY people voted for that faggot).

Go Obama IMO. Seems to be a good guy...a smart "normal" person like the rest of us.

"ill give ur mom the short end of the stick " - Destruction
    Well hes not fucking american, you can't escape that. I don't want a god damn muslim that was from Iraq to be the president.

Greyson -- says:
    play gore se
    Saman h says:
    i dont have gore se
    Greyson -- says:
    why not
    Saman h says:
    becuase i am gay
    Quote Originally Posted by Creative
    Well hes not fucking american, you can't escape that. I don't want a god damn muslim that was from Iraq to be the president.
    He's not a fucking muslim dumbshit. He's half black, half white. Read the article before you spew out retarded shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaos
    stop idolizing a haxor clan like nwp and idolize a clan like gv instead, who have to struggle and try so hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockWave
    I still laugh at how Saman means "Shelter and Security", and Saman is a terrorist.
    The gods have looked apond you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyder
    It makes me feel better about myself...knowing that even if I became a fucking crack addict and lost everything, I'd still be better than him.(In reference to M@nc0w)
    I'm not sure if you are serious, but I'd sure as hell take this guy over Hillary fucking Clinton. Fuck that bitch. Whatever moron the republicans churn out, we can only hope that it's not as bad as Bush...Hopefully not his goddamn brother from florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Boombostik
    Doesn't even look black, moreso brown.

Barack Osama tbh.
    Sort of a shade of light shit brown like saman. jk luv ya saman
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaGator
    He's not a fucking muslim dumbshit. He's half black, half white. Read the article before you spew out retarded shit.
    looooooooooooooooool wasn't serious about the muslim shit, I'll call any terrorist looking person a muslim. I read the article too or read something about him his mom is white and his dad is like indian or something or vice versa.

Greyson -- says:
    play gore se
    Saman h says:
    i dont have gore se
    Greyson -- says:
    why not
    Saman h says:
    becuase i am gay