Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Laptop

Wellst friends my family seems in need of a laptop so I have been shopping around for us one. Trying to get it to be a decent gaming rig for me and my dad (whenst away from the house, he's deployed on the boat for months at a time and needs something, all his buddies play wow!) so yeah. I have been looking at the dell inspiron e1705, nice machine TBH.

Specs ATM:
    Intel® Core™ DUO T2350 (1.86GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB)
    17 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen UXGA Display with TrueLife™
    2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
    256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7900 GS
    120GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
    8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
    Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™HD Software Edition
    Dell Wireless 1390b/g (54Mbps)
    53 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
    Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate)
    Logitech V270 Cordless Optical Bluetooth Notebook Mouse
    Windows Vista™ Premium

Total Price: $1,444.00 (After a $500 coupon that is only available until may 17th)

Should I go with a 80gig 7400rpm HDD (for $45 more) or stick with the 120gig 5400rpm?

Also does anyone have experience with Verizon or Cingular Mobile Broadband? I'm curious since while on vacation this summer I'll only have dial up for half of the trip, is this faster than dial-up? What would my ping be like when playing games? Download speeds? Any INFO on anything will help pls. Thanks friends!
    Quote Originally Posted by DESTRUCTION View Post
    im just trying to keep u on ur toes Fellow

Looks like a nice lappy for the price
    The 7900 GS should do nicely in games, its a shame it comes with Vista though .

I had the Verizon for a year, it was and i think still is the fastest around, it uploaded about 120-130k and downloaded about 500k, it was $80 a month though, and i just didn't use it enough to justify the price.

The 7200RPM drive is gonna eat the battery faster, i would go with the 120 gig 5400.

I'm willing to pay back up to 150% your investment, so if you invest 100 dollars, you will get back up to 150 dollars.
    Joel Huenink

NWP is a gaming clan site - if you're easily offended, this is not the clan for you and don't visit this website etc

Lead Said
    Dunno I made it with some 18yr old high school dropout the other night. I bought her some french fries from Jack in the Box and one thing led to another.
    My laptop broke. Screen busted after it tossed at my head.
    .TBH. -49er btw: [nWp] owns Joo!1!...FUCK IT! [NWP4LIFE]

I'm ThaT DiamonD in teh DiRt that NevEr been FounD, i'M tEh cTf KinG bUt I never been CROWN

R

I

S

S

A

Well just since yesterday they made Windows XP available instead of Vista, so I changed to that, and added the bluetooth chip for the mouse. The price is now $1416.98.

I was thinking of subtracting the bluetooth chip (-$20) and the mouse (-$45) and instead getting a wireless optical USB mouse, but I remembered how those would get packetloss or whatever and my last one would sometimes freeze for a second or two. My question is, is bluetooth any better than regular wireless usb?

I never used a bluteooth mouse, so i cant say, the best wireless mouse i ever had (and still have it ) was from Radio Shack..
    Who woulda guessed, but its a great mouse for the lappy.

smart move on dumping Vista btw

You want shit to work, not be crippled by the OS.

I'm willing to pay back up to 150% your investment, so if you invest 100 dollars, you will get back up to 150 dollars.
    Joel Huenink

NWP is a gaming clan site - if you're easily offended, this is not the clan for you and don't visit this website etc

Lead Said
    Dunno I made it with some 18yr old high school dropout the other night. I bought her some french fries from Jack in the Box and one thing led to another.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bukowski
    smart move on dumping Vista btw

You want shit to work, not be crippled by the OS.
    Yeah, my parents comp has vista and if you leave it idle it crashes/freezes.

Logitech® G7 Laser Cordless Mouse ftw

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...ONTENTID=10716

Dunno what problems vista causes everyone,

I know that i just brought the bandwagon on anti-vistas in here now that are gonna flame me, and show me "logical threads and articles, and reviews" why its a piece of shit. But I've had absolutely NO problem, the only thing that bugs me is that I've heard you cant upgrade certain parts cause they aren't compatible yet with vista.

Other then that, I'm fine, I may be just a lucky fuck?
    i wont jump on the bandwagon
    ... but i have read in ALOT of forums/places taht vista causes trouble with games being incompatible with the system, if not incompatible then there are troubles running it..

also the fact that u cant use alot of old programs u could on Win XP. i really dont care for it atm.. if my dad decides to buy it ill just throw it on my other harddrive and have 2 OSs

Quote Originally Posted by limppimp
    Logitech® G7 Laser Cordless Mouse ftw

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...ONTENTID=10716
    Was gonna mention that myself. I absolutely LOVE it. Best mouse I've ever had...and I use it with my mom's laptop (her laptop mouse, one of those mini pieces of shit that was like $50, sucks ass)

I want a Dell XPS ... with blue lights

"ill give ur mom the short end of the stick " - Destruction