Thread: microsoft installed base to cross 1 billion

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2163005,00.asp

REDMOND, Wash.— Microsoft Windows will run more PCs than there are cars in the world by the end of Microsoft's fiscal year 2008, said Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer July 26 at the company's analyst day here.

The software giant announced it sold 60 million copies of Windows Vista this year, more than the entire installed base of Apple, and is well on the way to reaching 1 billion Windows users by the end of the fiscal year, Ballmer and Chief Operating Officer Kevin Turner told analysts and reporters. The latest number includes 40 million copies sold in the first 100 days of the product's January release.
    Thats a fucking rediculous amount of Vista sold. I had no idea they sold that many so far.

Fiscal year 2007 was also the best year ever for Windows, with $14.97 billion in revenue and 14 percent year-on-year growth. Vista contributed $1.9 billion to this, Turner said.
    NWPNWPNWPNWPNWPNWPNWP
    the greatest Fellows

Imagine if analysts and enthusiasts had actually thought Vista was worth upgrading to...it would have been at least double that figure...if not triple.

Windows - 1 billion
    Apple - > 60 million

ROFL...yeah fuck you Apple. It's not even so much that I dislike their OS or products as much as I hate their self-hyping as well as all the "trendy college kids" trying to pimp them out as something cooler than they really are.

"ill give ur mom the short end of the stick " - Destruction
    I wonder what the breakdown is of 3.1/Win95/98/Me/NT/2K/XP/MC/Vista?

I wonder how they figured "machines running"? Even the ones limping? lol

I have to imagine that nearly all the vista sales are the fact that ppl buy new computers and everything comes w/Vista on them.

It's funny how just about everyone I know who buys a new computer, does so cause their current Windows computer is all flaky now, and the new computer will now have Vista.

I think for the OEM deals MS makes, they sell for less than $50. Maybe less after the kickbacks.
    Don't Fear Teh Penguin
    It's funny how just about everyone I know who buys a new computer, does so cause their current Windows computer is all flaky now, and the new computer will now have Vista.
    Well, to be fair, you're from San Fransisco and the people you know have the money to buy a new computer just because their OS is flaky and probably don't want to reinstall the OS/format the drive because it's just easier to buy a new one.

Everyone I know who is buying a new computer is doing it because they just about have to as their old computer is 5+ years old and they're typically running Win98 and just can't handle anything new (such as games/programs/etc).

"ill give ur mom the short end of the stick " - Destruction