Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Athiests of America

Quote Originally Posted by Creative
    Yeah I cbf christians. I've met many in high school even middle school and most of them are assholes. The ones I'VE met think they know everything, concerning everything.
    Modified because I've seen the same thing with people with your beliefs. You yourself have admitted that there are lots of people who try to impose their beliefs on you and others.

I always liked the Dogma quote about beliefs < ideas. I don't feel like looking it up atm though.

Anyways good stuff MOP
    i think quoting people is overrated
    I enjoy reading good quotes as the next guy to come along but tbh i hate when people quote some one to prove a point, esp when they dont know much about where that quote comes from

IE

once my friend was trying to push islam on me and he fucking quoted Nietzsche
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by Creative
    Yeah I cbf christians. I've met many in high school even middle school and most of them are assholes. The ones I'VE met think they know everything, concerning everything.
    Modified because I've seen the same thing with people with your beliefs. You yourself have admitted that there are lots of people who try to impose their beliefs on you and others.
    Well that shouldn't have been modified... at all. I said that yeah, but I was speaking of people who I met through church. If I didn't state that in the conversation at the time I said that, I apologize.

Greyson -- says:
    play gore se
    Saman h says:
    i dont have gore se
    Greyson -- says:
    why not
    Saman h says:
    becuase i am gay
    One of my favorite things I've seen on TV was when that remake of Planet of the Apes was coming out, and there was some magazine cover referencing it and evolution. They interviewed a typical midwestern brainwashed housewife who was complaining about how the general population seems to have accepted evolution in one form or the other.

She said something along the lines of people needed to stop blindly believing in evolution and have an open mind to seek the truth. She then put her hand on a bible and said people needed to read it because it contained the absolute truth.

It was probably the most goddamn gay thing I'd ever heard. That in one breath tells people to have open minds, and then the next tell people that a single ancient book is the absolute truth. So pretty much you only need to open your mind wide enough to fit a dollar store bible in it and then you never require any knowledge ever again. Also gay because it took place in a story about the remake of planet of the goddamn apes.

The thing is in general is that I CBF people that are in goddamn cults.

Pretty much all the mainstream established religious seem to have good points to them at their core. It is just the establishment that gays things up. It is like the general theme in Life of Brian, which was that religion at it's core was perfectly fine, the only real problem was organized religion. It is just the leaders in the church\mosque\whatever that fuck everything up. There is usually only a problem when you get people following a religious leader as some sort of representative of God instead of just being individuals.

Like I'm sure most Buddists are cool, but then you get someone like the Dali Lama who flys around the world reading fortune cookies to people, and trying to get cash donations so he can maybe one day hopefully buy weapons and fight a war with China or some bs like that.
    off topic:

hi2u lead.

k back on topic

whats wrong with speaking out against oppression?

Like I'm sure most Buddists are cool, but then you get someone like the Dali Lama who flys around the world reading fortune cookies to people, and trying to get cash donations so he can maybe one day hopefully buy weapons and fight a war with China or some bs like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saman
    whats wrong with speaking out against oppression?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead
    Offtopic: Hi, Lead.
    Quote Originally Posted by DESTRUCTION View Post
    im just trying to keep u on ur toes Fellow

I'm probably inaccurate there to some point, but I recall reading about how at some point his fund raising adventures were found to be tied to resistance movements against China. My point though is you can have the good teachings and lessons in any religion. I'm sure the guy says lots of great things. But to me the problems appear to come when you get people who want to lead everybody. I just don't think a belief system needs a leader.

Also I thought the opportunity to describe the Dalai Lama as somebody who flies around the world to read fortune cookies to people was too hard to pass up.
    Great post lead...I agree with your points and find it equally funny.
    "but I recall reading about how at some point his fund raising adventures were found to be tied to resistance movements against China."
    A lot of what this guy is about is resistance movements against China. I don't personally see anything wrong with someone speaking out against wanton usurpation of his home country.

My point though is you can have the good teachings and lessons in any religion. I'm sure the guy says lots of great things. But to me the problems appear to come when you get people who want to lead everybody. I just don't think a belief system needs a leader.

Also I thought the opportunity to describe the Dalai Lama as somebody who flies around the world to read fortune cookies to people was too hard to pass up. mistar L face

I think that the world world sees the Dalai Lama as more of a social leader than a religious one, after all, this is the reason he was awarded the noble prize for. He (and the beasty boys ) has helped bring the plight of the Tibetan people to international eyes. As far as his pseudo-prostelyzing is concerned, i can see how that would put some people off. But ultimately a lot of great men carry some pretty heavy luggage, after all Ghandi WAS racist :P

like him or hate him, at least the guy is not a suck up :P