Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I need a new laptop

I lost my laptop in the crash so I'm lookin for a new one.

Anybody get a new lappy lately that they can recommend? Gotta have a decent 3D card in it and I wanna try and keep it under 1200 bucks and I DON'T WANT VISTA! In fact I don't really need a OS at all if thats possible.

I'm willing to pay back up to 150% your investment, so if you invest 100 dollars, you will get back up to 150 dollars.
    Joel Huenink

NWP is a gaming clan site - if you're easily offended, this is not the clan for you and don't visit this website etc

Lead Said
    Dunno I made it with some 18yr old high school dropout the other night. I bought her some french fries from Jack in the Box and one thing led to another.
    i think MS is allowing manufacturers to ship pc's with xp until Feb 08. i have this nice IBM(Lenovo) ThinkPad work gave me. it was expensive as hell and doesnt have a great graphics card. i know HP makes some nice media laptops that do nice graphics. they run pretty cheap too.
    I had a Dell and I liked it, I prolly will get another one, I always look for some opinions though b4 I make a purchase like this, I build desktops no problem, and I can get the parts to build a lappy, but its just not worth it in the end.
    If I recall the only Linux Dells had shit graphics card in them, and if I'm gonna get Linux preinstalled I want the fucker cheaper than a XP or Vista box ffs, I can install Linux myself.

I'm willing to pay back up to 150% your investment, so if you invest 100 dollars, you will get back up to 150 dollars.
    Joel Huenink

NWP is a gaming clan site - if you're easily offended, this is not the clan for you and don't visit this website etc

Lead Said
    Dunno I made it with some 18yr old high school dropout the other night. I bought her some french fries from Jack in the Box and one thing led to another.
    You can get a customized laptop here that's pretty high in performance for a good price, though you may have to go 200 or so higher on your limit.

http://www.powernotebooks.com/configure.php?special=471
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkenedSoul
    You can get a customized laptop here that's pretty high in performance for a good price, though you may have to go 200 or so higher on your limit.

http://www.powernotebooks.com/configure.php?special=471
    Thanks for the link, this is exactly the kinda thing I'm looking for since I could buy it w/o a OS

Joel Huenink

Lead Said
    I like the Dell XPS line...

http://cgi.ebay.com/DELL-XPS-M140-51...QQcmdZViewItem

cbf that sold for $300. I should have bought it...but cbf dialup at home. :P Shouldn't really be buying anything yet anyways...I just got a new Treo 680 and all the accessories that go along with.
    This Dell E1705 cost like 1200 I think, can't really remember.

2gb ram, 120gb hd, 17" hd screen (1920x1200) Geforce 7900gs, Intel core duo T2250 @ 1.73ghz. Does pretty decent, plays all my games at 70+ fps
    Quote Originally Posted by DESTRUCTION View Post
    im just trying to keep u on ur toes Fellow

CBF gaming on a laptop though...even if it's a $1200 laptop with decent settings.
    I like to have the portability AND the availability to do whatever I want with a laptop, now I'm not talkin about runnin Crysis at his res, just to play mainstream games at a lan party without lugging a tower, monitor kb etc.. along and setting all the shit up.
    I think i found what I want for under 1400 bucks, i may even get the one for 1200, but i do like the 17" screen 4 the xtra cash

Joel Huenink

Lead Said
    post what u get.

I'm gonna need to get a new laptop soon.

Might just get one from these guys:

http://www.emperorlinux.com/

Probably one of the lenovo ones. I think Dell had one with an nvidia vid card w/linux, but they d/c it.

I need to get a pcmcia data card too, since I moved out of the city and think i'll take the train.

edit: cool, i see they put the EVDO (cell data card) inside the laptop if u order it that way.
    Don't Fear Teh Penguin