Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I need a new laptop

Quote Originally Posted by KMS
    post what u get.

I'm gonna need to get a new laptop soon.

Might just get one from these guys:

http://www.emperorlinux.com/

Probably one of the lenovo ones. I think Dell had one with an nvidia vid card w/linux, but they d/c it.

I need to get a pcmcia data card too, since I moved out of the city and think i'll take the train.

edit: cool, i see they put the EVDO (cell data card) inside the laptop if u order it that way.

Actually Kaiser I don't think ya can beat the price on this one for all ya get.
    http://www.powernotebooks.com/configure.php?special=471

Ya get a 8600GT w/512 MB ram vid card, it doesn't come with a OS but what the fuck do you care?
    I'm lookin at that one or the 17", but the one for $1083 is a lot of laptop for the price imo.

I'm willing to pay back up to 150% your investment, so if you invest 100 dollars, you will get back up to 150 dollars.
    Joel Huenink

NWP is a gaming clan site - if you're easily offended, this is not the clan for you and don't visit this website etc

Lead Said
    Dunno I made it with some 18yr old high school dropout the other night. I bought her some french fries from Jack in the Box and one thing led to another.
    That looks pretty good, but r u sure that everything would be supported in Linux? Linux on laptops can be a pain, since the parts are often not common enuff for someone to reverse-engineer it, and/or they don't release any specs.

The other thing is, I don't want it to be too heavy, since I'll be lugging it around a lot walking.

I'd love to sit down and tinker and get stuff working in Linux, but I just can't afford to do that these days.

Let me know if you come across a good laptop w/nvidia that is fairly light (under 4 lbs).

BTW, I just got a Tivo HD a few weeks ago. Been looking into hacking it, but it's more complicated to hack then my last one. I hope you have a DVR or something if ur ass is planted in bed or a couch ATM.
    Don't Fear Teh Penguin
    I don't have a TVO anymore since the first gen one I had died. I had the DVR from Comcast but i found I really didn't use it much, in fact I don't even have cable TV anymore cus I don't watch much TV, so I just pay Comcast for internet now and I hacked the TV part of it by going up on the pole in my back yard and removing the filter .
    So for TV recording i have a old 1.8 GHZ Athlon box I built with spare parts and a ATI All in Wonder 9600pro, it does a good job recording and its fast enough to record directly to Divx, and its not a bad gaming box either.
    But I have yet to get the AIW to ever work with Linux, I read some people have got it to work but its not worth my trouble, I just installed win 2k in it and it flies along nicely.

I'm willing to pay back up to 150% your investment, so if you invest 100 dollars, you will get back up to 150 dollars.
    Joel Huenink

NWP is a gaming clan site - if you're easily offended, this is not the clan for you and don't visit this website etc

Lead Said
    Dunno I made it with some 18yr old high school dropout the other night. I bought her some french fries from Jack in the Box and one thing led to another.
    ATI/AMD just came out with a new ATI driver for linux. And they've recently released much of the source code and specs for their vid cards/drivers.

I used to have a MythTV box that could push/pull vid from the Tivo box. Last night, Tivo updated my box so that I can use TivoToGo and transfer shows btwn tivo boxes.
    Don't Fear Teh Penguin
    that driver doesnt span back to the 9600 series though does it? i thought it was for the x series and up.
    I can get the ATI 3d working in Linux with Ultimate Ubuntu, it installs everything for you.
    But I could never capture video with the chipset in the AIW with Linux, I gave up trying since it works fine in win 2k.

Joel Huenink

Lead Said
    i hear the new driver is amazing though.
    Well then its about time ATI caught up to Nvidia with driver support with Linux, cus they have dragged their feet for years, in fact I'm not a fan of ATI's Windows driver support either.

Joel Huenink

Lead Said
    yeah, AMD is looking to fix all that. its pretty cool
    I'm gonna order this one today, I only upgraded the CPU to the 2.2 cus it has the 4MB cache, I was gonna go with the 17" but ffs its just to big to haul around.

https://www.powernotebooks.com/specs.../2090specs.php

Its $1,172 with shipping, not bad imo.

Joel Huenink

Lead Said