Thread: HD DVDs Fall Like Dominoes

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...ref=technology

"Nothing has been announced, but Variety is reporting that the last two major studios backing HD DVD — NBC Universal and Paramount — are opening the door for a switch to Blu-ray. These studios have commitments to release some discs this year in HD DVD, but both have ended their exclusive commitment to that format, which is backed by a group led by Toshiba."

Sorry didlz, looks like Sony wins this one

I personally don't see what the big fuss is about. A move is a movie. Nobody bitches and moans about high definition when they go see a movie at the theater, which I would think would be a fairly valid argument given that most theaters are still showing projected movies.
    I think coupled with a great HDTV, Blu-Ray produces better picture. I've stood and observed a lot of different HDTV's and HD-DVD/Blu-Ray setups in stores (never in a home setting, which doesn't make any difference) and liked Blu-Ray better. Same with my video games, I can't stand playing them in anything lower than a 1280x1024 reso, and while staring at the TV playing GH3, my eyes begin to hurt after 2-3 songs.

I can't remember the brand name, but I was watching Ratatouille(sp?) on a Blu-Ray player, with 1377x768 (something like that) resolution, 720p setting on the player, and it was the most fantastic picture I've ever seen on a TV. I think the brand was philips, because I recall the larger philips HDTV's in there having super-sharp and super-high quality picture, and by far looked to be the best in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by DESTRUCTION View Post
    im just trying to keep u on ur toes Fellow

DVD will still be the standard for at least the next three years, and by then who knows what new formats will be released. Sony fails at their proprietary formats, but clearly Microsoft and Toshiba fail even more.

I'm still happy with my LG upconvert DVD player.
    NWPNWPNWPNWPNWPNWPNWP
    the greatest Fellows

i dont think either will last as long as DVD will or VHS did. on demand is the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkspoon
    i dont think either will last as long as DVD will or VHS did. on demand is the future.
    DVDs have really only been mainstream for the past 5-7 years (or even around as long?) and VHS lasted for like, 15-20 years? I even read an article about a disc the size of a regular dual-layer dvd (but a little thicker) that could hold up to 80gb, and was estimated to be publicly sold within the next two years. I don't think any new technology will last as long as the VHS or DVD did, and I think DVD will definitely last 3-5 more years as the mainstream platform. Blu-Ray/HDTV's will become mainstream and replace CRTs when their average price lowers by 30-40% of what it is now.
    Quote Originally Posted by DESTRUCTION View Post
    im just trying to keep u on ur toes Fellow