Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a New Desktop

Dad said he'd buy me a new one for my 18th bday.
    I just sped through TigerDirect, and selected these (I want a machine that will last me at least 3-4 years, or fit the most I can in under 1k - this is just the tower in mind)

OK Here's what I got so far.

Motherboard: Asus P5N-D Motherboard - NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI, Socket 775, ATX, Audio, PCI Express 2.0, Gigabit LAN, S/PDIF, USB 2.0, Firewire, Serial ATA, RAID

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Processor BX80570E8400 - 3.0GHz, 6MB Cache, 1333MHz FSB, Wolfdale, Dual-Core, Retail, Socket 775, Processor with Fan

RAM: OCZ OCZ2N1066SR2GK 2GB Kit DDR2 PC2-8500 SLI™-Ready Edition Dual Channel Memory Retail ***Free Shipping*** (I went a little overboard with it cause I like my ram fast, feel free to post alternatives or if it even matters to get this speed over 6400)!

Power Supply: OCZ / GameXStream / 700-Watt / ATX / 120mm Fan / SATA Ready / SLI Ready / EPS / Active PFC / Power Supply

Video Card: EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Video Card - Superclocked Edition, 512MB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, Video Card

DVD/CD RW Drive: Lite-On LH-20A1S SuperAllwrite SATA OEM DVD Burner - 20x DVD±R Burn, 16x DVD±R Read, 8x DVD+RW, 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD±R DL, 12x DVD-RAM, 48x32x CD-R/RW, No Software (Does no software mean it runs without software or I have to download the drivers online?)

Hard Drive: SEAGATE ST3500320AS 500GB SATA 7200 RPM 32MB Hard Drive Bulk

Case: Thermaltake Soprano RS101 Black Mid-Tower ATX Case with Clear Side, Front USB and Audio Ports

Monitor: HP w2207 22" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor with BrightView Panel - 5ms, 1680x1050 (WSXGA+), 1000:1, DVI-D, USB Hub, Speakers

Mouse: Logitech G5 Laser Gaming Mouse (Dave could you find the G7 for me on ZZF or TD? I can't seem to find them, just the G3 and G9 wireless.)

Keyboard: Logitech G11 Gaming Keyboard

Speakers: Logitech G51 Surround Sound Speaker System

Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Sound Card Retail

Total: $1706.37 (Combined total from ZZF + TD)
    ---1700 is a much better price than before, you guys cut off about $300 and it's an even better build, but that's without one hd, and a mouse. Still probably ~250 less than before.
    Quote Originally Posted by DESTRUCTION View Post
    im just trying to keep u on ur toes Fellow

I would go with the 620HX from corsair, i got the 520HX and all i can say is that its fucking awesome, also very quite, not to mention modular, which rox..
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...game,1810.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...game,1907.html

$500 pc that will look better than anything these next gen consels will be pushing out.

Watch Anime Online

Greyson -- says:
    i don't know everyone does shit they're not suppose to
    Greyson -- says:
    i want to know one person who lived a perfect life
    michael says:
    jesus
    The drivers are fine, you need vista to run dx10, you can torrent windows xp 64bit, although i think 2 gigs is plenty of ram as it is.

some things have problems with 64 bit drivers.
    Change the MB, and DONT get that monitor!!!

Get this one, it's cheaper and I know someone that has one and it fuckin rocks for the price..22" is plenty and ya dont want 1900X1200 native res, it pushes even the best vid cards too hard.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...449&CatId=2775

I like the PSU choice simply because you are looking for a 3 year life with the box.

When I get time i will look at other options for ya but I HIGHLY suggest you get the HP monitor, its better than monitors at twice the price imo.. it adjusts nicely and games perfect

Watch the vid on it

I'm willing to pay back up to 150% your investment, so if you invest 100 dollars, you will get back up to 150 dollars.
    Joel Huenink

NWP is a gaming clan site - if you're easily offended, this is not the clan for you and don't visit this website etc

Lead Said
    Dunno I made it with some 18yr old high school dropout the other night. I bought her some french fries from Jack in the Box and one thing led to another.
    I just got a new 22 inch dell monitor. I wasn't going to buy it but I got it at $100 less than wholesale so I guess it was a good deal. I can't really compare it to anything else because its the only monitor I have atm, but it is pretty fucking good.
    NWPNWPNWPNWPNWPNWPNWP
    the greatest Fellows

i 2nd buk on the HP monitor. ive got this badboy sitting on my desk at work as my main montior right now.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...ey=hp%20l2045w

i love that thing. the one buk posted is pretty much the same but its 22" and has a 1000:1 contrast.
    I love the swivel .
    It's a no brainier, it adjusts just about every way ya want and the price is downright incredible .

JUST BUY IT WHILE ITS STILL ON SALE

I'm willing to pay back up to 150% your investment, so if you invest 100 dollars, you will get back up to 150 dollars.
    Joel Huenink

NWP is a gaming clan site - if you're easily offended, this is not the clan for you and don't visit this website etc

Lead Said
    Dunno I made it with some 18yr old high school dropout the other night. I bought her some french fries from Jack in the Box and one thing led to another.
    Don't be afraid to check NewEgg and ZipZoomFly once you get a list of what you want. I saved at least $800 when I did my build by shopping around. IMO ZipZoomFly > TigerDirect > NewEgg, although lately TigerDirect has really been challenging ZZF's prices. Building a PC for my mom atm and I got everything

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets
    But first, I have some questions. If I get 1gb total of video memory (two 512mb geforce 8800's in SLI: A) Where can I get WinXP 64bit to support it + 4gb of ram;
    I personally wouldn't buy two memory cards at once. One of those 8800's is going to rock everything you throw at it for quite awhile - then in 6 months or so, you can pick up another one for a pretty sweet deal. Since it's your birthday...you CAN get that second one if you didn't have to skimp on the rest of your build for it. Otherwise, keeping it down to one helps to keep your cost down.

I have a Q 4 U: why do you need 64bit windows? I recently read that some programs have trouble with 64bit windows and 4 GB memory.

Dump the bundle IMO. It's not even a deal - I added them all up and it comes out to $400 anyways...so it's not worth bundling.

The MOBO - IMO - is good. Buk thinks otherwise (he'll post about it when he's sober haha) but I picked it up for my mom's build.

The processor is OEM - meaning, it does not come in an Intel box with a stock Intel fan. I'm a bit confused why you're getting a quad (IMO they're not proven technology yet) rather than a duo - but hey, whatever. You should just get the retail version - which comes with a fan AND a copy of UTIII (fucking love free games tbh) for about $45 more - which is about what you'd be spending for a decent fan anyways. If you go OEM, you HAVE to buy a processor fan.

The ram is good (OCZ has worked out great for me) but is it SLI ready? Might want to check that out offline. If not, you can get the SLI ready ones for $5 more.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?EdpNo=3404049

PS: If you want to get 4 GB (which you don't need off the bat) the OCZ mail in rebates are ONE PER PERSON so don't anticipate both being marked down. This is why I encourage buying the other down the road.

Good for the price. I LOVE Ultra's X-Connect (modular system) because it clears all the clutter...but 700W for $100 is great. Looks great too for a clear side panel.

Your link says "THIS ITEM IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE" (ownt)

From all I've read, the 8800 GTs rock, so it's a good choice. Here's a new link:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?EdpNo=3548332

Like I said earlier - I wouldn't buy both (especially if a mail in rebate is driving your decision - these things are always 1 per person) but if it fits in your budget, that's fine.

I like SATA better.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...L12-1132%20OEM
    (This is what I got for my mom.)

I had heard that Lightscribe breaks after awhile, but not sure about the Philips model. Philips has been a pretty good brand through the years, so I don't think you can go wrong if you get it.

Just get 2 500GB ones because that model works better together.

BTW don't get 8MB cache, get 32MB:
    https://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produ...tCode=10005939

You may have noticed the absolute kickass price...I told you - ZZF FTW friend...cheaper than your choice + the 32MB cache version on TD. This is INSTANT PRICE too - so no gay mail in rebate nonsense.

I don't know if I much care for it. I don't see the front USB/Audio. If those aren't really on it or are behind that panel - that's a huge pain in the ass. I got my mom a Thermaltake Soprano (with no clear side):
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...430&CatId=1849

The quick release feature is fucking awesome, honestly. The front USB/Audio are VERY accessible and the panel can stay closed. I like it better than my case, tbh.

Duno if I agree with Buk ATM. The 2ms refresh rate is rox on this. Buk's is 5ms which is totally fine for gaming though. His IS a bit cheaper. Depends on if those extra 2 inches really matter to you. 22" is fine IMO.

I have a G7 wireless - which I love quite a bit. Either way works though.

[quote="MasterOfPuppets"]Keyboard: Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard (2007 Version)
    I have the old one (with blue lights - which IMO is better) but this is good.

[quote="MasterOfPuppets"]Speakers: Logitech G51 Surround Sound Speaker System
    Why? Are you seriously going to have your speakers on while playing games? Probably not - you'll just put your headset on, fattie. They look cool, but you're probably pressing your luck trying to get a $120 speaker set out of your dad for something that isn't useful right now.

Anything with that faggot's name on it is instantly tagged with a higher price. Sound cards are not a big deal - your board has one integrated. I have the X-Fi Platinum card on mine (the top one - $$$) because I can plug in my guitar and such. You probably don't need one. If you want one, though; the regular X-Fi Gamer card is just fine:

https://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produ...uctCode=290246
    (notice ZZF wins again?)

Like I said, sound cards are not a big issue. The board has a great setup (8 channel hi-def) already.

I've seen very few things with "Fata1ty" that wasn't marked up 20%+ above the regular card (that did the SAME DAMN THING).

"ill give ur mom the short end of the stick " - Destruction
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyder
    Don't be afraid to check NewEgg and ZipZoomFly once you get a list of what you want. I saved at least $800 when I did my build by shopping around. IMO ZipZoomFly > TigerDirect > NewEgg, although lately TigerDirect has really been challenging ZZF's prices. Building a PC for my mom atm and I got everything

But first, I have some questions. If I get 1gb total of video memory (two 512mb geforce 8800's in SLI: A) Where can I get WinXP 64bit to support it + 4gb of ram;
    I personally wouldn't buy two memory cards at once. One of those 8800's is going to rock everything you throw at it for quite awhile - then in 6 months or so, you can pick up another one for a pretty sweet deal. Since it's your birthday...you CAN get that second one if you didn't have to skimp on the rest of your build for it. Otherwise, keeping it down to one helps to keep your cost down.

I have a Q 4 U: why do you need 64bit windows? I recently read that some programs have trouble with 64bit windows and 4 GB memory.

Dump the bundle IMO. It's not even a deal - I added them all up and it comes out to $400 anyways...so it's not worth bundling.

The MOBO - IMO - is good. Buk thinks otherwise (he'll post about it when he's sober haha) but I picked it up for my mom's build.

The processor is OEM - meaning, it does not come in an Intel box with a stock Intel fan. I'm a bit confused why you're getting a quad (IMO they're not proven technology yet) rather than a duo - but hey, whatever. You should just get the retail version - which comes with a fan AND a copy of UTIII (fucking love free games tbh) for about $45 more - which is about what you'd be spending for a decent fan anyways. If you go OEM, you HAVE to buy a processor fan.

The ram is good (OCZ has worked out great for me) but is it SLI ready? Might want to check that out offline. If not, you can get the SLI ready ones for $5 more.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?EdpNo=3404049

PS: If you want to get 4 GB (which you don't need off the bat) the OCZ mail in rebates are ONE PER PERSON so don't anticipate both being marked down. This is why I encourage buying the other down the road.

Good for the price. I LOVE Ultra's X-Connect (modular system) because it clears all the clutter...but 700W for $100 is great. Looks great too for a clear side panel.

Your link says "THIS ITEM IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE" (ownt)

From all I've read, the 8800 GTs rock, so it's a good choice. Here's a new link:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?EdpNo=3548332

Like I said earlier - I wouldn't buy both (especially if a mail in rebate is driving your decision - these things are always 1 per person) but if it fits in your budget, that's fine.

I like SATA better.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...L12-1132%20OEM
    (This is what I got for my mom.)

I had heard that Lightscribe breaks after awhile, but not sure about the Philips model. Philips has been a pretty good brand through the years, so I don't think you can go wrong if you get it.

Just get 2 500GB ones because that model works better together.

BTW don't get 8MB cache, get 32MB:
    https://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produ...tCode=10005939

You may have noticed the absolute kickass price...I told you - ZZF FTW friend...cheaper than your choice + the 32MB cache version on TD. This is INSTANT PRICE too - so no gay mail in rebate nonsense.

I don't know if I much care for it. I don't see the front USB/Audio. If those aren't really on it or are behind that panel - that's a huge pain in the ass. I got my mom a Thermaltake Soprano (with no clear side):
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...430&CatId=1849

The quick release feature is fucking awesome, honestly. The front USB/Audio are VERY accessible and the panel can stay closed. I like it better than my case, tbh.

Duno if I agree with Buk ATM. The 2ms refresh rate is rox on this. Buk's is 5ms which is totally fine for gaming though. His IS a bit cheaper. Depends on if those extra 2 inches really matter to you. 22" is fine IMO.

I have a G7 wireless - which I love quite a bit. Either way works though.

Keyboard: Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard (2007 Version)
    I have the old one (with blue lights - which IMO is better) but this is good.

Speakers: Logitech G51 Surround Sound Speaker System
    Why? Are you seriously going to have your speakers on while playing games? Probably not - you'll just put your headset on, fattie. They look cool, but you're probably pressing your luck trying to get a $120 speaker set out of your dad for something that isn't useful right now.

Anything with that faggot's name on it is instantly tagged with a higher price. Sound cards are not a big deal - your board has one integrated. I have the X-Fi Platinum card on mine (the top one - $$$) because I can plug in my guitar and such. You probably don't need one. If you want one, though; the regular X-Fi Gamer card is just fine:

https://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produ...uctCode=290246
    (notice ZZF wins again?)

Like I said, sound cards are not a big issue. The board has a great setup (8 channel hi-def) already.

I've seen very few things with "Fata1ty" that wasn't marked up 20%+ above the regular card (that did the SAME DAMN THING).

I'm not gonna replay to everything Spyder just posted but here are a few of my thoughts

Sceptre monitors are the cheapest monitors you can buy, 2 ms vs 5 isn't the point, I have seen some rated at 8 that blow away 2 ms ones in gaming and DVD movies.
    If you ever see a Sceptre monitor run away as fast as possible, they suck period.
    And the adjustments are important ..that HP is a fuckin bargain and a half.
    I would NOT want 1900X1200 native resolution..ffs ya gonna game at 1900X1200 for it to look good? Ya better get dual 8800 GTX's with 768MB of ram each.

I also would just buy one 8800GT
    I would also just buy 2 gigs of ram
    64bit XP is worthless
    Use onboard sound for now, upgrade when ya see something ya like on sale later.
    Pay more cash and get a Asus MB.

If ya got the cash..this baby is sweeeeetttt
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...170&CatId=1533

Thats all for now

Joel Huenink

Lead Said