Thread: $44b National Broadband Stimulus

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...broadband.html

I think it's a great idea IMO. There are also some companies (I can't recall the names) that are lobbying / looking to purchase a spectrum from the FCC / for free national wifi.

IMO everyone should be able to have a basic high speed internet service for free. Whether they plug into it or connect to it through the air. And then of course they could opt-in to pay for higher bandwidth allowances/speeds, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by DESTRUCTION View Post
    im just trying to keep u on ur toes Fellow

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081217-free-press-put-44-billion-of-2009-stimulus-into-broadband.html

I think it's a great idea IMO. There are also some companies (I can't recall the names) that are lobbying / looking to purchase a spectrum from the FCC / for free national wifi.

IMO everyone should be able to have a basic high speed internet service for free. Whether they plug into it or connect to it through the air. And then of course they could opt-in to pay for higher bandwidth allowances/speeds, etc.
    i wish they would fucking run some damn cable lines to my mom's place. still using fucking dial up and satellite for TV.
    That chart is bullshit.

#nwp @ irc.gamesurge.net
    There isn't cable lines at my house either. Supposedly next month though its moving out my way. ONLY TIME WILL TELL.

Quote Originally Posted by chaos [gv
    this wasnt even a war this was a disgrace,we outnumbered them and still lost.
    IMO everyone should be able to have a basic high speed internet service for free.
    Why? Because you're broke and jobless?

I signed the petition for the wireless spectrum - it's a pretty nifty idea - but I think that's the only way I'd support free internet (even then, I don't know if it'll be free - Google may figure out a way to do that). There's no such thing as a free lunch - and I don't want to pay for people to sit on the internet all day tbh.

"ill give ur mom the short end of the stick " - Destruction
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyder
    IMO everyone should be able to have a basic high speed internet service for free.
    Why? Because you're broke and jobless?
    LOL, that's a piss-poor jab. No actually, I have other motives for my opinion. I have lived in areas where there was no high-speed internet, and where there's been plenty of it. It's just a big hindrance to not have it, the internet is used for much more than gaming or chatting, Spyder - I thought maybe you'd realize this before making yourself look like an asshole. I'm willing to bet at least 50% of kids use the internet for daily homework assignments, not to mention it's fucking required for projects and all that jazz. Not to mention AGAIN: many adults keep tabs on news and current events online just as much as others do through the television. Most websites are image/ad heavy these days, you of all people should know how much of a time-waster it is to load that shit. And not all people know how to view text only websites.
    Quote Originally Posted by DESTRUCTION View Post
    im just trying to keep u on ur toes Fellow

Every school has a computer lab. It's not like when I was in grade school Those kids can do those kinds of assignments after school, during a study period, during lunch, etc. Most cities have centers with computers to use, too - like the YMCA, Boys & Girls Club, etc.

LOL don't get all offended because I called you out on that one. It's not my fault you're jobless and broke - that's your deal. It's not like I called you out for some personality trait...like I would do to Dest in a goddamn second (luvudest!). If you're that upset about being jobless/broke - GET A JOB! If you can't find a job you actually like, join a temp service and start stacking your resume with varied experiences. You're getting to the age where you need to start getting your shit together...not just because you have to get on your own feet...but because you'll feel a lot better when you have the freedom to do what you want. The golden opportunity doesn't come to those who wait for it - you have to work to it through taking advantage of more immediately available seizable opportunities. Look at Rootbeer - he's a pretty talented little faggot, but his success depends on him working his ass off...not waiting for Sony Records to knock on his door.

Anyways, I have dialup...I pay $20/month for it...and it's about as shit quality as you could imagine. I'd love to have free WiFi or whatever...but I don't want my taxes to go to fat-tards like Sardonic who want to just stay home all day and moderate forums lolololz. I don't really care about adults having to check the news - it's not a necessity and there are plenty of places to check the news. Once you're putting in 10 hour days and working your ass off for what you have, you'll scoff at your taxes going to the Sardonics of the world just as much. Not saying your opinion doesn't matter because of your situation...it just doesn't have as much weight as those who buy the clothes on their backs and food they eat. GODDAMNIT, even Dest changes oil in order to pay for the facial surgery he so desperately needs!

<3 u tho. lots n lots 4eva n eva!

"ill give ur mom the short end of the stick " - Destruction
    hmm that was a good read spyder

I'd favor it some because the more information available to the ignorant, the better off we all are.

...but I don't want my taxes to go to fat-tards like Sardonic who want to just stay home all day and moderate forums lolololz.
    I think thats part of where we get in trouble. I kind of agree there, but I think some trouble we have is when people begin to invent ghosts that their mind conjures up whenever certain subjects arise. Like when the subject of people in need comes up some people often think up those ghosts, be it the drug addict hippy, lazy fat slob, etc. Then use that as reasoning against whatever is proposed because they don't want to satisfy that thing which they hate.

When I talk about how much I CBF people like Sardonic, it's not because I'm pissy he's getting a free ride. It's more that while he's doing it he's ruining it for everyone that does need help.

Quote Originally Posted by Lead
    I'd favor it some because the more information available to the ignorant, the better off we all are.

...but I don't want my taxes to go to fat-tards like Sardonic who want to just stay home all day and moderate forums lolololz.
    I think thats part of where we get in trouble. I kind of agree there, but I think some trouble we have is when people begin to invent ghosts that their mind conjures up whenever certain subjects arise. Like when the subject of people in need comes up some people often think up those ghosts, be it the drug addict hippy, lazy fat slob, etc. Then use that as reasoning against whatever is proposed because they don't want to satisfy that thing which they hate.

When I talk about how much I CBF people like Sardonic, it's not because I'm pissy he's getting a free ride. It's more that while he's doing it he's ruining it for everyone that does need help.
    truth.