Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Lax MA Marijuana Law

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/reg...93&format=text
    Pot law leaves cops high & dry
    Many blow off $100 fines
    By Edward Mason and Jessica Van Sack | Thursday, July 16, 2009 | http://www.bostonherald.com | Local Coverage
    Photo
    Photo by Herald file

Thumbing their noses at the state’s lax new pot law, Bay State stoners are brazenly lighting up in front of cops and then refusing to pay fines - leading some frustrated police chiefs to all but give up the fight.

Local police report widespread defiance of the six-month-old law, and a Herald review shows a vast majority of potheads cited by cops blowing off their $100 fines.

Some ejimious examples of tokers flaunting the law include:

• In Arlington, a public works employee was cited by the local police chief for smoking a pot pipe as he stood next to his town-issued tractor.

• At bustling Park Street Station, a pair of nonchalant lovers out on the town openly lit up a joint and continued toking even after confronted by off-duty Milton Chief Richard Wells.

• In East Boston, four teens spotted in a “smoke-filled vehicle” unabashedly told a cop they were “just smoking marijuana.”

• A man caught near a Dorchester playground laughed when police said he faced a $100 fine - and then taunted the cops with an expletive-laced tirade.

All told, a staggering 83 percent of 415 tokers cited in Boston since the law took effect in January have refused to pony up the $100, a Herald review shows.

In Braintree, 15 of 28 citations went unpaid, while in Brookline 26 of 33 blew off the fines.

Somerville Deputy Chief Paul Upton said his officers are now writing few if any citations, in part because enforcing the law costs more money than it’s worth.

“If we send an officer to court, it’s going to cost us $250,” Upton said. “We’re not getting a lot of (citations) written.”

In Milton, Chief Wells said the new pot law is unenforceable because there’s nothing encouraging scofflaws to pay fines or even give their real names to police.

Berkshire District Attorney David Capeless, head of the state prosecutors group that fought against relaxing pot sanctions, said, “It’s exactly what we were afraid of, and what we predicted would happen. They’d issue citations, and they’d be ignored.”

Proponents argued pot convictions made youthful indiscretions into lifelong liabilities. But while unpaid parking tickets can cost drivers their licenses, unpaid pot fines carry no repercussions.

“There’s nothing that can happen,” Capeless said.

Thomas Kiley, the Beacon Hill powerbroker who crafted the measure, insisted the law has teeth.

Tucked in the law is language that places pot possession on par with other citations, and police can haul a scofflaw into court, Kiley said. “We did (anticipate) this,” Kiley said.

But Cheryl A. Sibley, chief administrator for the Boston Municipal Court Department, said police are powerless because that provision is neutralized by language clearly stating the only penalty the offender pays is the $100 fine.

Meanwhile, in Braintree on Monday night, police spotted a suspected perv smoking pot in a car filled with coils of rope, a pair of handcuffs and bottles of NyQuil. But they had to let the man go, even though he was awaiting trial on child sexual assault charges.

Said Deputy Chief Russell Jenkins, “Had the law not been changed, he absolutely would have been placed under arrest.”
    I bolded something I thought deserved being pointed out. I like how they threw that part in near the end of the article, to serve as a lasting impression to readers that all potheads are child molesters. GG journalism friends. Although I think it's kind of funny how they insinuate the guy deserved to be in jail before his trial had even begun, like they wanted to arrest him for something completely irrelevant because they are like real-life mancow's.
    Quote Originally Posted by DESTRUCTION View Post
    im just trying to keep u on ur toes Fellow

Meanwhile, in Braintree on Monday night, police spotted a suspected perv smoking pot in a car filled with coils of rope, a pair of handcuffs and bottles of NyQuil. But they had to let the man go, even though he was awaiting trial on child sexual assault charges.

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH H

In what world did they "have to let him go" when he was smoking weed, had all of that random shit and knew he was a child rapist. I can't imagine there is any limit to the amount of things they could have done for a guy with that combination of record, weed and supplies for raping small children.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
    I want to know what's going on with him and Xena and whether he's jobless. It makes me feel better about myself...knowing that even if I became a fucking crack addict and lost everything, I'd still be better than him.
    nah theyre huge balls, i like huge balls
    Quote Originally Posted by chinar View Post

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH H

In what world did they "have to let him go" when he was smoking weed, had all of that random shit and knew he was a child rapist. I can't imagine there is any limit to the amount of things they could have done for a guy with that combination of record, weed and supplies for raping small children.
    I don't know, the article didn't tell much about the law other than it is (seemingly) decriminalized to only a fine that people can refuse to pay. DUNNO. There was no evidence that he was going to do anything bad anyway which is why it doesn't even need a place in this article. People are going to read it and think oh if we legalize weed then child rapists won't be in jail we can't let that happen! Which is entirely untrue and why I pointed it out and said what I said in my first post. Stupid shit.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
    I don't know, the article didn't tell much about the law other than it is (seemingly) decriminalized to only a fine that people can refuse to pay. DUNNO. There was no evidence that he was going to do anything bad anyway which is why it doesn't even need a place in this article. People are going to read it and think oh if we legalize weed then child rapists won't be in jail we can't let that happen! Which is entirely untrue and why I pointed it out and said what I said in my first post. Stupid shit.

I get why it's retarded that they tried to make it seem that way, but I still think they should have taken that guy in regardless. What cop in their right mind goes "Well, this Fellow is high, has copious amounts of nyquill, rope and handcuffs added to him being convicted of raping children. Too bad I can only fine him $100 (but he won't pay it anyway so there's no point), but I guess thats how life goes"

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
    I want to know what's going on with him and Xena and whether he's jobless. It makes me feel better about myself...knowing that even if I became a fucking crack addict and lost everything, I'd still be better than him.
    nah theyre huge balls, i like huge balls
    Quote Originally Posted by chinar View Post
    I get why it's retarded that they tried to make it seem that way, but I still think they should have taken that guy in regardless. What cop in their right mind goes "Well, this Fellow is high, has copious amounts of nyquill, rope and handcuffs added to him being convicted of raping children. Too bad I can only fine him $100 (but he won't pay it anyway so there's no point), but I guess thats how life goes"
    Because it's not illegal to have those things in your possession, and he was already being tried he had not been convicted yet of the child molestation charges so.

I didn't take it as "if potheads are allowed to smoke freely, child rapists will be more active." I read it as, "This guy that can be very dangerious to children (due to his questionable charges) is allowed to go on about his business with his implements of rape while he's lit up." I think they worded it poorly, gave off the wrong intention, and obviously didn't relate the fine problem well with the man. If the law wasn't lax, I highly (lawlpun) doubt the man would be smoking in the open for cops to see and he was going to be driving around with his tools just the same.

Bad journalism imo, still, I understood what they meant to say because I can read between the lines. :O
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaos
    stop idolizing a haxor clan like nwp and idolize a clan like gv instead, who have to struggle and try so hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockWave
    I still laugh at how Saman means "Shelter and Security", and Saman is a terrorist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Creative
    The gods have looked apond you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyder
    It makes me feel better about myself...knowing that even if I became a fucking crack addict and lost everything, I'd still be better than him.(In reference to M@nc0w)
    If you're fucking high or drunk, dont drive, god dammit.
    is it possible to blame drugs for underage sex?

#nwp @ irc.gamesurge.net
    LOL GODDAMN ^

"ill give ur mom the short end of the stick " - Destruction
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaGator View Post
    I didn't take it as "if potheads are allowed to smoke freely, child rapists will be more active." I read it as, "This guy that can be very dangerious to children (due to his questionable charges) is allowed to go on about his business with his implements of rape while he's lit up." I think they worded it poorly, gave off the wrong intention, and obviously didn't relate the fine problem well with the man. If the law wasn't lax, I highly (lawlpun) doubt the man would be smoking in the open for cops to see and he was going to be driving around with his tools just the same.

Bad journalism imo, still, I understood what they meant to say because I can read between the lines. :O
    It can be seen either way, maybe both even, but still I think they saw what I mentioned and still went with it. Thus declaring all of us the victors. Let's go rape some kids gang!