Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Apple iPad

hi

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
    Right, so how is the iPad so overpriced?
    because if you want a tablet you can get a full fledged tablet for the same money and it will outperform it in every way. my argument was more that the product is a ripoff because they limit functionality not because the hardware was weak. although, now that you mention it, the hardware is fucking weak. 1ghz processor, are you shitting me? the nexus one cell phone has a 1ghz processor. UP TO 64gb of storage, what is this 1999? what's that? no usb or any other connectivity you say? oh, you mean if i want to hook up a mouse/kb i would need to buy the dock, i see. yeah, i see your point, this is a great deal Spyder...
    I never said it's a great deal, I just don't think it's as terrible as you think.

Oh it doesn't act exactly like a PC, it's a shitty device, I see your point.

"ill give ur mom the short end of the stick " - Destruction
    It's hard to have a discussion about anything when you shit out hyperbole. The cheapest iPad is $500.

The way you argued that would be like a parent telling a teenager "I CANT BUY YOU A CAR BECAUSE THEY'RE $100,000 (FOR THE MOST EXPENSIVE ONES)". It's just retarded.
    I'm not even trying to argue a point. I care so little about this discussion and the iPad that I didn't even take the time to look up the price. Anyone who even pays $500 for this though is an idiot. The thing is so fucking huge there is no real benefit to owning this. You surely can't call this thing portable when its 10 inches by 8 inches. You can get a netbook for less money and it will do more shit with a processor that is much faster. The only thing you're missing is a touch screen but you get a keyboard which is a shitload better to begin with.

I really love the commercials I've been seeing for the iphone how you can do six things at once while making a phone call. It's pretty much been their main selling point lately when trying to compete with Verizon's phones. I know the iPad isn't the iPhone but from what I'm gathering from this the iPhone is a superior product. It's going to be fun to see how they market this.
    NWPNWPNWPNWPNWPNWPNWP
    the greatest Fellows

I never said it's a great deal, I just don't think it's as terrible as you think.

Oh it doesn't act exactly like a PC, it's a shitty device, I see your point.
    it's probably one of the worst purchases you could make imo. why would you pay more for less? yes, i expect a computer to act like a modern computer. sorry if that makes me crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diddlez View Post
    You can get a netbook for less money and it will do more shit with a processor that is much faster. The only thing you're missing is a touch screen but you get a keyboard which is a shitload better to begin with.
    All valid points. I was never really into the idea of small computers anyway so I never seen the point in getting a netbook. Therefore I don't see much of a reason to get an iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by Diddlez View Post
    I know the iPad isn't the iPhone but from what I'm gathering from this the iPhone is a superior product. It's going to be fun to see how they market this.
    LOL yeah that's what I was telling a mac-tard friend of mine. He's the guy that is going to camp out overnight to say he was one of the first to have one. I don't see any point in buying it until there are applications made that really make the iPad useful. Otherwise, you just have a thousand fart apps for it, just on a bigger screen :< I was telling him "DUNO BUT MY MINI IPAD MAKES PHONE CALLS :F" and he's like "YOU DONT UNDERSTAND, IT'S NOT A TABLET, IT'S A FUCKING REVOLUTION!" I don't think it's nearly that far along yet. hah. Maybe in 5 years where, like I said, there are applications to make it useful. Realistically, I'd rather just wait until the Mac Book drops in price and get one of those instead because it looks nice and it has incredible software. The iPad isn't there yet...and I don't think buying it with the anticipation that it's going to revolutionize is really a great idea by any means. By the time enough great apps come out for it, the thing will be on version 2 or 3, have 2 to 3 times as much space, probably be cheaper and have better hardware in general. So if you're not buying it for a portable movie player...yes, it's definitely a waste of money.

I'd much rather watch movies on my 46" Pansonic Plasma instead anyway. I never really understood why people love small devices that play movies. "OMG IPOD TOUCHEZ PLAYS MOVIES THO!" ... wtf. That sounds more annoying and tedious than awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspoon
    it's probably one of the worst purchases you could make imo. why would you pay more for less? yes, i expect a computer to act like a modern computer. sorry if that makes me crazy.
    I thought it should run Mac OSX at first, honestly. As I thought about it, though, I see where they are going with it. Whether or not that direction will ever be truly achieved...we'll see. It's dependent on software manufacturers being willing to change the way they develop software - or at least, forking there current software. In one hand I think the sandbox application approach could work pretty well. On the other, I see things going beyond that and straight to web applications. I think things are getting simpler and we're moving back towards how we used to process things with mainframe computing (now called "cloud computing"). There are lots of web applications that are grabbing market share away from thick/client-side applications...and many of them are much simpler and more efficient. Google Docs is a great example of this. At first you're like "WHAT? I can't do everything Excel can do? WTF?" but then you sort of realize...you don't need all that shit. Same with word processing. The approach of dead simple, efficient and elegant web applications that have APIs (so you and/or your users can develop more complex plugins for niche features) is where things are going in a LOT of areas. If this keeps up, I think Google will have leapfrogged Apple's so-called "revolutionary" sandboxed thick application and both Apple and Microsoft will be losing out quite a bit. A big winner in this scenario, besides Google and web application development studios such as 37signals, will be Linux. When users realize they don't NEED Excel or Word and use Google Apps and other products, Microsoft is going to be seeing a decline that they can't stop (because they can't develop web applications for shit) as users no longer need their software suites or a huge, complicated and expensive OS just to run Firefox and a few pieces of software that really need to be client-side most of the time (like music players - even then, not everyone needs that...especially if they don't transfer music to devices).

Anyways, my rambling is getting out of hand. I do agree that if you're just getting the iPad because it's from Apple and aren't really understanding the reasons you're getting it for...then you're just retarded and should lose out on that money anyway.

"ill give ur mom the short end of the stick " - Destruction
    Goddamn the more I think about this the more I realize how dumb it really is. It's just a huge iPod touch with a $500 price tag.
    NWPNWPNWPNWPNWPNWPNWP
    the greatest Fellows

rofl. and now this thread has come full circle. thanks didlez

not going to quote all your stuff spyders but you did have some good points. i dont think cloud computing is really the future which is where i think you were headed in your ramblings. it has it's place but it will never take hold in corporate or government environments. privacy is too big of a concern. i dont care how much security there is on the system, you can never get past the fact that your data is not under your control.
    http://arstechnica.com/apple/2010/02...pads-brain.ars

so the iPad is quite literally an iPhone 3gs with a larger screen and fewer native features.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	147.9 KB 
ID:	174ya